Friday, October 9, 2009

War


It's me versus the ants, and frankly, the ants are winning. One was biting me before I left for work.

Since it’s been raining we’ve seen random ants roaming around our house. They are in our bathroom, kitchen, and sometimes on the living room floor. I never see more than a couple at a time, and they never seem to be going anywhere in particular- just roaming. I feel like they are the Israelites and my apartment is their wilderness. I guess the random bits of food that they find is their manna. Lovely.

Well, on Friday, about 45 minutes after Caleb left to go on a hunting trip, I noticed two or three ants all in the same area, so I became an ant detective. It wasn’t long before I found hundreds of them crawling out of our pantry doorway and into a box of Reese’s Puffs cereal. Sick. The thing that really irks me is that our pantry is in the middle of our apartment, which is on the second floor, so that means they are all in the walls- ugh!

As gross as it was, at least I could Raid them and be done with it. The other ants just roam around seemingly coming from nowhere- I can’t spray their source because I can’t find it!

I have a love/hate relationship with my weapon of choice- lemon scented Raid. I hate using it because I’m worried about the baby and the dog ingesting it, but I love that it kills the little buggers instantly and they don’t come back- to that exact spot, at least. After I spray, I promptly clean the area with Green Works surface cleaner- ironic, I know.

I thought the exterminator made his rounds on Wednesday and that this would all be over by now- but, I guess he comes Mondays, so I have to make it through the weekend. Caleb caught me pounding the counter and yelling, “die, die, die!” at some ants last night. We’re all worried for my sanity.

3 comments:

  1. From Aunt Anne:I've uttered the same battle cry/mantra several times. I tried all the alternative, safe methods and finally bought a can of RAID. It's the only thing that keeps them from coming back. (In addition to DIE DIE DIE I've also told any survivors to "Tell your FRIENDS!")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen I am so enjoying reading about your war I hope it will soon be over and you will be the presiding queen. cole

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally caught up on your blog and I am loving it! Your adventures with Riley and ants are great! It was so nice to talk to you tonight and I look forward to many more posts from you! Oh my gosh, Riley is just the cutest thing ever. Good luck with those ants. My uncle Bob has some all natural formula he made up that seemed to kill ants too...I'll look into that for you!

    ReplyDelete