Thursday, October 1, 2009

Anniversary and First Meal

Last weekend Caleb’s parents came up to Austin to watch Riley so we could go out for our two year anniversary. I was resigned to steaks in the oven (which we did on the actual date, September 29th, but it wasn’t so romantic when our apartment completely filled up with smoke. What was romantic was me buying us a car code reader to tell us why our check engines lights come on as an anniversary gift- it doesn’t get sexier than that!) anyway…back to the topic at hand: they planned the whole trip so we could go out and enjoy ourselves- so sweet!


Riley's First Cowboy Hat- Thanks Grandie and Papa!


On Saturday night Caleb and I went to an Irish restaurant that’s been around for 25 years. It was in a cute little cottage complete with lace tablecloths, four-leaf clover wall paper, and Irish folk music playing in the background. My favorite part of the meal was my onion soup that came out on fire and was served in a hollowed-out onion. The food was good, but the ambiance was better.


On Sunday afternoon we tried to give Riley his first meal, really watered-down (I guess milked-down) Gerber’s rice cereal. This is about how well it went:


We tried again yesterday, but he still wasn’t very interested. He had much more fun playing with his toys.



We’re thinking that after about a week or so we’ll try yellow squash and maybe he’ll like that better.

I decided that I’m not going to stress out about the milestones- eating, crawling, walking, etc., but rather, just enjoy the journey. I read about a mom who was having a really hard time getting her child to eat solids- he wanted everything in baby food form and she was just beside herself worried that the doctor was going to tell her to “starve” her little one until he would eat unblended food. I really liked one lady’s comment that said “no kid has ever gone to college needing his pizza and beer pureed in a blender- it will happen, don’t worry.” That is the kind of philosophy I’d like to take- I will do everything I can to ensure Riley is developing like he should, but I’m not going to miss all the fun things worrying about what he should be accomplishing next. To all: please remind me of this when the time comes and I’m convinced Riley will never walk…be potty trained…play nice- whatever the case may be. Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. My sister always says, "You spend the first 2 years teaching them to walk and talk, and the next 16 telling them to sit down and be quiet!".
    LOL! I'm sure Riley will do fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Love all the photos!

    Hess

    ReplyDelete
  3. His first cowboy hat is the cutest thing I've ever seen. And Riley is even more handsome than ever (who would've thought that could be possible?!) Kristen, I totally agree with your attitude . . . this is the shortest and most amazing time in Riley's life. I am so glad you just want to enjoy it. I can't wait to see y'all again! (((HUGS))) Aunt Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you and Caleb are great parents and I am so glad to see that ya'll see what parenting is about. It's not about all the work it's about enjoying every moment whether they are great moments or trying moments. Dad and I are very proud of you both. Cole

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristen, I've just discovered your blog & am really enjoying it--your writing and all the pix. Your parenting attitude is awesome & wise; wish I had been that smart when I was a young & stupid mother w/ my babies, and the those precious little years go by so fast. Now that I'm old & wise, I am thoroughly enjoying my grandson, Sam, age 2. His mom, Jen (my daughter) sounds a lot like you, and I'm glad. BTW, you are an excellent & entertaining writer (I loved the Ant War story). Please tell your mom & dad hi for me.
    Aunt Yvonne

    ReplyDelete