Friday, April 9, 2010

Thanksgiving 2009

Worst blogger ever! Ok, now that that is out of the way, I thought I would do a holiday wrap-up edition. I was originally planning on doing this in January and covering Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s, but now that it’s been so long, I’ve got a whole list of holidays that have passed! Apparently covering them all at once is too daunting, so I’ll try to break them up, starting with Thanksgiving.

The weekend before Thanksgiving we were lucky enough to go to Caleb’s hometown and attend the weddings of our friends Justin and Sommer and Caleb’s cousin Brandon. On Sunday, we had a Thanksgiving dinner at his Granny and PawPaw Cole’s house. So, on actual Thanksgiving we decided to give the odometer a rest and stay home.

Starting about Tuesday, Caleb was grilling me about how many dishes I planned on preparing. I have a nasty habit of completely overdoing it when it comes to big dinners and totally stressing myself out along the way. Caleb was trying to persuade me to only do a few dishes in order to avoid “Angry Kitchen Kristen.” But, what’s Thanksgiving without all the fixin’s? So, I did the best I could to prepare things ahead of time.

On Wednesday I peeled, cut, and put the potatoes in water, roasted the squash, made the stuffing (and had sausage and biscuits for breakfast, of course!) and the cranberry salad. Impressed yet? You ought to be. On Thursday all I had to do was assemble my squash/sweet potato dish and put it in the oven along with the stuffing, boil and make the mash potatoes, and make some green beans.

What about the turkey, you ask? Our friends Victor and Kimberlye took care of that portion of the meal- whew! The bird took longer to cook than they expected, so with the extra time I made a cheesy cream sauce for the green beans and some sour cream biscuits. We carved the turkey, whipped up some gravy and it was time to eat! For dessert, we had a cheesecake pumpkin pie thing I made previously (I brought one into work) and a fabulous flan that Kimberlye cooked ¡QuĂ© delicioso!

We had a great holiday and so much to be thankful for!



Riley at his fourth wedding in 7 months!




Our little turkey!



The spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment